Monday, September 23, 2013

Tomato Bisque and Chicken Cutlet

I finally got around to making this. I made it on Friday night. The reason I say get around to it is because it is a process. I base this on a recipe I saw a few years ago. I don't remember it precisely, but I know the general idea


  1.  Core and score, washed tomatoes. I used about 10 that I bought from the Farmers Market last week
  2. Add tomatoes to boiling water. Boil for about 5 minutes and then add to an ice waterbath (that's a big bowl full of ice water)
  3. Peel skin off of tomatoes
  4. Add saved chicken drippings about 2 cups worth or the amount saved from 2 chicken carcasses.  ( I don't know what to call this, if its a stock or not, its the gelatin and fat that I pour out of the pan after I roasted chicken that had its bones and skin and fat. You won't get this off those boneless skinless chicken breasts.)
  5. Fill pot with water. Not overflowing about 3/4 ways through. 
  6. Once boiling, reduce to medium heat and cover. Allow to cook 2-3 hours, checking on it often and adding more water if it boils down to thick. 
  7. Use the best small appliance ever, whose name I always forget, to puree the soup in the pot (you don't have to dump it all in the blender or food processor if you have this thingy. Why can't I ever remember what it's called. Not hand mixer. It has a better name. The good ones are made by Kitchen Aid. Mine is red.
  8. Add about half a pint of heavy whipping cream (the paleo version uses coconut milk, don't know how that would taste) to a large dutch oven full of soup, that boiled down a little more than half way.
  9. If you want to thicken it you can add a few spoons of tomato paste and then let it boil for another 30 minutes.
  10. Salt to taste.
  11. Garnish with something  green to look pretty.
I ate this with chicken cutlet, which were so simple they don't really need a recipe. I beat down some chicken breast, sprinkled them with salt, pepper and dried dill weed and squeeze lime juice on them. I rolled them in almond flour and then sauteed them in lite olive oil. Turn it to cook both sides. They were really good.

No comments:

Post a Comment