Thursday, September 12, 2013

Dinner

I did things a little reversed today, based on what I was craving. I wanted my light meal (my chocolate paleo shake in the morning.
Then I started canning peaches (never did this before but Colorado peaches are the best and I want to be able to have them in the middle of the winter)
I burned my hand doing this. So, I am not Martha Stewart at all.
Chicken with Figs 
This was the best chicken I've ever had!

This recipe is supposed to be chicken with figs and mint. As  I plan to go over in depth on Salicylate Intolerance, I get sick from too much mint, (methyl salicylate). Even though I love it, I prefer to leave it out of recipes. I bought fresh figs, yay! My favorite. But the recipe actually called for dried figs marinated overnight in wine. Well, I don't consume alcohol at all, so I'm not going to do it. It also called for orange marmalade, which I don't have.
I made a new recipe.

6 chicken quarters
salt
pepper
2 limes
4-5 cloves of garlic (or more if you like a lot of garlic)
olive oil
Prepare chicken by sprinkling with salt and pepper and squeeze lime juice on it. Drizzle olive oil on top. Add the garlic cloves to be roasted with the chicken. Roast chicken in Pyrex for about an hour at 370 degrees F.
Remove the skin and eat the crunchiness yourself, or feed to the dog. Take the melted fat and juice and freeze for the next time you make soup (it taste really good that way, forget that MSG bouillon people use for some reason).
Make a glaze
1/4 cup  Simply fruit apricot preserves (no-sugar added)
a few leaves of sage
juice of one lime
 one carton of fresh figs ( about 10 figs)
Add ingredients to small sauce pan and bring to a boil for a minute or so. Turn off the heat and place the figs into the sauce pan. cover and let sit for about an hour.

Cover the chicken with the glaze and figs. Replace in oven and broil on low.
You just want to dehydrate the glaze a little and it will carmelize onto the chicken.



No comments:

Post a Comment