Sunday, October 27, 2013

Sugar

I have not had sugar for 3 days. It's not just sugar I am not eating, but it is starch (bread, rice, potatoes...) as well as dairy (except butter and heavy whipping cream), and fruits, except for berries and pomegranates. This is for 30 days. I'm doing this because of all the books and articles I have immersed my self in, that talk about insulin sensitivity, hypothyroidism, weight loss, all come back to the same idea as low-carb, skip sugar and foods that become sugar when you eat them. There is The 17 Day Diet, The 21 Day Diet, The Paleo Diet, The Thyroid Diet. Though not identical, what I get from all of these is the same message that I have to cut my sugar, in all forms.
I had mentioned that I read a nice article from The Great Fitness Experiment on exercise addiction and it made me think that I am pushing myself to far with the exercise. I don't feel addicted to the point where I ignore my  kids and my life, but I am at the point where I can't miss a workout and I rather go to the gym and get my hour or 2 in than hang out with friends or do anything really. And with all this exercise, where has it gotten me? I haven't made the progress I want. A response on the article about exercise addiction was by Kevin Geary at The rebooted body. I decided to check out his site and downloaded his free e-book. He talks about everything that I have been researching and he has a new perspective that talks about exercise addiction and over-training. I've never heard of over-exercising from the fitness coaches, I have dealt with. If anything "The Biggest Loser" mindset that has been pushed is to exercise to the point of vomiting and passing out all day everyday.
I thought, ok if I double my workouts I will get in better shape. I ran a marathon, thinking I would get in the best shape of my life. Though, I am amazed and proud that I ran a marathon, it really took determination, it didn't get me in great shape. So I am going to try The Rebooted Body program. For some reason, I have actually been able to go almost 4 days sugar-free. (Halloween candy is all over and I am not eating it). Maybe, it's no different than any other program that tells you,"duh, put down the sugar and you'll lose weight", but I have been trying to get healthier by still eating sugar and maybe this is the last ditch effort for me. I didn't think I could ever go cold turkey like this, but I am. It is depressing to think, I can't make my sweets, even my paleo ones where I use dates and bananas instead of sugar, but if I can fit into the smaller size of jeans (all my pants from 2 years ago), then it will be so worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment