Monday, December 30, 2013

Exercising when sick :(

     I have the worst cold ever. Runny nose, sore throat, cold sweat when I walk around. I usually go to the gym and walk when I have a cold. But with this thing, I don't even want to walk around the house. This got me thinking, is it beneficial to work out when I'm sick or should I just say forget it for the next 5 days.
     The Mayo Clinic says if it's a cold above the head then exercise should be okay. Scale it back if you need to.They do say if you have a fever not to exercise. I didn't take my temperature though, but the hypochondriac in me insists I have a fever...
     What is really painful to me now is the sinusitis. It kept me up most of the night. On Yoga Journal, they talk about several poses that can help the sinuses. Salamba Sarvangasana- supported shoulder stand, Ardha Halasana- supported half plow pose, and Eka Pada Savarganasana- plow pose with one leg up are said to be useful in relieving sinus pressure and clearing the sinuses.
    I don't usually take medication, but when sinus pain keeps me awake, I really wish I could take some NY-Quil. However, because of my intolerance to salicylates, I have to avoid a lot of medications. The menthol that causes the nice cooling feeling in your throat will make me really sick. The NSAIDs are not good for my stomach or intestines. I can't tolerate "natural" products, such as herbal tea. Too feel better, I'm rotating ice water and lipton tea. I'm putting a little honey in my tea because I heard this is good for you. Don't know of any actual proof behind this. What the heck, honey taste good. It can't hurt.
I think I am going to try some yoga poses. I can't be allergic to those.

No comments:

Post a Comment