Saturday, March 22, 2014

Paleo Books!

I have a list of books I want to start reading. They include The Wahl's Protocol, The Paleo Approach, and The 21 Day Sugar Detox. The Wahl's Protocol, is about treating M.S. and autoimmune disease with a nutrient dense diet. It really makes me think about how we eat foods that only offer "calories" and nothing else. Think about it, if you wake up and have a muffin. You ate 500 calories of sugar, flour and corn or soy oil products. There may be 5 cooked, sugared blueberries in it. Then you have a turkey sandwich for lunch, so you get some bread, some factory farmed turkey breast with no fat or anything else with a piece of lettuce and tomato on it. For dinner, you might have some chicken breast (no fat or nutrients either), some salad with soy product salad dressing all over, maybe a roll and a side of some cooked vegetables (possibly from a can, yuck).
I put this meal plan up because with the exception of the muffin, people will eat like this and think it is healthy. Right? The turkey sandwich and chicken breast are low-fat. There were some vegetables thrown in. Hey, the bread might have been whole wheat. The muffin could easily be replaced with skim milk and raisin bran. But guess what? If you eat this way, you are not getting all the nutrients that you need to be healthy. On top of that, you could be having a lot of other issues from eating the wheat and the sugar and not even know it.
Why do some people develop M.S., some people develop diabetes, some people get IBD? This has to do with genetics. However, having a diet that is inflammatory, that does not supply the nutrients for our immune system to work properly, for our digestive system to work properly, does not help and according to the podcast that  I listened to on Balanced Bites, she believes that the genes that contribute to disease can actually be turned on when the body is in this undernourished, inflamed state. So, I gotta read this book so I can know more.
I want to read The Paleo Approach, by Sarah Ballantyne, because she discusses auto-immune disease and how to make a paleo diet work for it. For example, some things that are paleo can still be a problem for people with autoimmune disease (and gosh there are so many autoimmune diseases). This reminds me of my whole salicylate issue. Tomato, zucchini, eggplant, turmeric, ginger, are all supposed to be healthy, yet I cannot touch them. On top of that, I cannot eat large quantities of other fruits like peaches, mangoes, pineapples, oranges, because the load of salicylate becomes too much for me to handle. So, the approach of modifying the diet to fit your individual needs, really speaks to me.
I want to read the 21 Day Sugar Detox because it is by Diane Sanfillippo and I love her podcasts with Liz Wolfe and they are so informative on health and nutrition. Therefor, her book should be really good.
I will get to all these books. Right now, I am reading Eat the Yolks by Liz Wolfe. This book isn't a science book it is an easy read that is funny. It does provide a lot if information and I think it will interest people who don't obsess over nutrition and don't read these books as a regular pastime.
I am also trying to study pre-Western medicine. You know that medicine that human kind developed over thousands of years. But, for some reason we decided only the "advances" of the past 50 years matter. I do agree, well from what the media provides us information on, that we have made advances. I am told it is true that we don't have certain diseases anymore, like measles, mumps and rubella. (Thanks to the controversial vaccines) However, we have more cancer, we have more heart disease, and obesity is out of control. I don't think modern medicine has a solution to this. The solutions that are being given are drugs, and this is because they make pharmaceutical companies billions upon billions of dollars, while people are still sick and fat. I think the solution lies in changing diet and life style. Anyway, I still want to know what other healing practices there are, so I am starting with reading The Canon by Avicenna or Ibn Sina, which was his real name. This book is the translation and commentary from the original Arabic. It is only from the first book of  The Canon, but that is enough for now. It was a medical text for hundreds of years all over the world. His name was changed in Europe to Avicenna, to sound less "Islamic", because they hated Muslims, but wanted to use his medicine, because it actually worked. This book is hard to read, but some of the points it makes are so amazing that I push through it. More on that when I finish.
So, this is how I am spending my time right now. I really need to read a comical, romantic trashy novel as well. Sometimes, too much science is just too much science.

No comments:

Post a Comment